QUALITY CARE ~ QUALITY PLACEMENT
Matching Foster Dogs with Foster Homes is our Specialty
The weight and size of the dogs we save range from 30 - 100 pounds and the dogs we save do shed.
If you are unable to foster a dog that fits this profile we may not be the best fit for you and your home.
THANK YOU for taking the time to read the important information below. We hope you find you are a great fit for our organization and are ready to save some lives! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Foster Coordinator. We welcome your inquiry as a potential member of the ADR Rescue Team!
What support is available and what help do I get?
- Each foster caregiver is assigned a Foster Coordinator
- We provide 24/7/365 hands on, email, phone support, and in person support.
- We provide as much information as possible about the dog prior to it coming into your home.
- We we never"guilt" you into fostering a dog.
- We work as hard "matching" foster dogs with foster homes as we do matching dogs to their forever home.
- We want you to be as committed to the care and well-being of the dog as we are.
- We pay for all approved veterinary care, provide all equipment, monthly preventatives and in certain situtation, provide or reimburse you for food.
- We recognize the importance of what you're doing.
- We provide free manners and behavior training should you need help.
- We respect your family and personal time.
- We invite you to speak with any of our foster caregivers to find out what it's like to volunteer with ADR.
The dogs ADR rescues
Once we have a confirmed foster home we immediately save a dog. We will not commit to saving a dog unless we have a place for them.
- We rescue all breeds, ages and sizes.
- Mixed breed dogs and puppies are in the greatest need, but we occasionally take pure breed dogs if the breed rescues are unable to help, and as long as we have a foster home that is experienced with that breed.
- The average weight of the dogs we save range from 30 - 100 pounds, with somewhere in the middle being the average.
- We take into consideration the foster home that is open and choose a dog that will work best in that particular home.
- Each dog receives a fully medical work up by one of our trusted veterinarians before going into your home
Evaluation of our dogs
Each dog is evaluated based on basic temperament qualities. Though a shelter setting can be a challenge when it comes to evaluating a dog, we only accept dogs that are human and dog friendly. If an experienced foster home is open, we sometimes rescue dogs that need a little more time to adjust to their new enviornment or need additional socialization and manners training. Though we assess each dog we cannot guarantee the behavior of any dog.
- Dog that are at-risk of being euthanized
- Dogs that have been overlooked by potenial adopters
- Dog that may have medical conditions that a shetler is not capable of handling
- Dogs that overwhelmed by the shelter setting and need out before their behavior deteriorates
- Puppies that are at-risk of getting sick and not surviving
How do I begin?
Below are just a few things to ask yourself before filling out the foster application:
- You own your own home and it has a secure fenced yard OR you lease your residences and have a letter or lease agreement giving permission to have a dog in your home. (Please note that you will most likely be asked to pay a pet deposit.)
- There will be occassional travel to/from the vet (7 am - 6 pm, M-F and Sat. 8 - noon) Click here for a list of our vets and you have the availlabilty to do this in a timely manner.
- You will be required to bring your foster dog to ADR events, meet & greets, and fundraisers when requested.
- All of your animals are current on their vaccinations.
- All of your dogs are given monthly heartworm preventative.
- All of your animals are spayed or neutered.
- You work no more than full time (8 hour day) and you are will to go home directly after work.
- You will commit to fostering a dog until the dog is adopted (our average is 2-4 weeks)
- Everyone in your household is in agreement to foster a dog.
- You agree to sign our foster agreement.
Please fill out this application form if you're interested in fostering.